This week's budget recipe: Jane’s bacon and lentil soup
Jane says, ‘I'm a bit of a soup fiend so I love this. Lentils can be bought in the Asian aisle very cheaply so I keep a large bag at home. The cost per portion will be very low particularly if serving a crowd or freezing portions.’
1tbsp olive oil
1onion diced 250g red lentils
4 rashers smoked bacon**
2 vegetable stock cubes dissolved in 1.25 litres of boiling water
**If serving vegetarians the recipe can be adapted using smoked paprika with onion instead of bacon
1. Rinse lentils until water runs clear to remove starch
2. Gently fry off the onion and bacon to release flavour
3. Add lentils, stir, then add stock
4. Bring to the boil and simmer until cooked, approx. 30 -40 mins, stirring frequently
5. Allow to cool a little then blend
NB Lentils soak up a lot of liquid so use a big pan
It looks like it's the first time you've visited the CAP website.
The cookie settings are set to 'allow all' to give you the best experience and help us maintain the site. If you continue without changing these settings, you consent to this.