Budget recipe binder: Criss-Cross Chicken Pie
Comfort food at its very peak, this recipe if cheap and cheerful and a guaranteed hit with all ages. The lattice top is a lovely twist on the classic pie lid and definitely worth the slightly fiddly assembly! Give it a go this Sunday as a great alternative to a traditional roast dinner.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total cost: £4.08
For the pastry:
225g plain flour
Water to mix
For the filling:
500g diced chicken
Tin of mushrooms
Dried mixed herbs
Tin of chicken soup
800g potatoes (uncooked weight)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
To make the pastry:
2. Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Add cold water until it is all combined and forms a ball.
4. Knead for a few minutes.
5. Separate the dough into two.
6. Roll out one piece to a thickness of about 1cm and lay it into a greased pie/quiche dish.
7. Roll out the second piece into a rectangle and cut into 3cm strips.
8. Create a lattice by laying the strips next to each other on cling film. Fold alternate strips upwards and lay one piece horizontally over the other pieces. Lay the folded pieces down and fold alternate pieces upwards and lay another piece horizontally. Repeat until the lattice is full.
For the filling:
9. Chop the onions and mushrooms.
10. Fry the onion until soft, then add the mushrooms and fry until they have reduced to about half the size.
11. Add the chicken and brown.
12. Next, add garlic and herbs, then stir in the chicken soup and heat through.
13. Add the chicken mixture to the pastry case.
14. Carefully lift the cling film and flip the lattice onto the top of the pie. Trim the edges and glaze with a little milk.
15. Cook in the pre-heated oven for 40 mins.
16. In the meantime, prepare the potatoes, vegetables and gravy, ready to serve.
*Prices from Tesco, correct at time of publishing