Claire says, ‘The great thing about this recipe is that it’s much simpler than it looks! A tin of soup works as a great cheap substitute for enchilada sauce and no one will guess your secret ingredient!’
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Total cost: £5.66 (94p per serving)
500g chicken pieces (£3 – you can also save money by buying chicken thighs and chopping up the meat yourself)
1 tomato, chopped (12p / 69p for pack of six)
1 onion, chopped (16p)
6 tortilla wraps (68p / 90p for pack of eight)
1 tin of condensed cream of chicken soup (£1)
100g cheese (any kind that’s easy to grate) (70p / £1.40 for 200g mature white cheddar)
2 tsp chili powder (few pence / 85p for 50g)
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees (or 180 if you have a fan oven).
- Fry the chicken in a pan. When it starts to turn golden brown, add in the onion and cook for five mins. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool down.
- Pour the whole tin of soup over the chicken and onion. Mix in the chopped tomato and chili powder.
- Divide the mixture between the tortilla wraps. Roll up each one and place them side by side in a rectangular baking dish.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle over the wraps.
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is starting to bubble.
*Prices from Tesco, correct at time of publishing